Farmers' Advocacy Office Closed
The office at 1032 - 103 Ave. in Dawson Creek is now closed. To assist landowners, Aspen Grove Property Services will continue to provide surface lease and land sale data on this website.
Surface Lease Taxes in Arrears?
We have had a number of enquiries from landowners who have received a copy of a property tax arrears notice from the BC Surveyor of Taxes, for well sites on their land.
This is a concern because it may indicate that the oil and gas company is in financial trouble.
Here are two facts that we have confirmed with the Surveyor of Taxes:
- The land owner will not be liable for the outstanding taxes because the asset being taxed is not a fee simple asset, it is a lease.
- There will be no collection action against rural land owners.
There is cause for concern if a company is in financial difficulty. A landowner needs to be aware in case a company abandons its operations, so that recourse can be sought through the Oil and Gas Commission's Orphan Fund for clean-up and removal.
who we are
Farmers' Advocate by Aspen Grove has the goal of equipping land owners to deal in their own best interests in the negotiation of surface leases and rights of way associated with the oil and gas industry.
what you’ll find
- information on surface lease compensation and land sales
- landowner advice
- links to statutes, case law and mapping tools
- Infographics that explain how the system works: